Friday, April 21, 2017

Youtube daily report Apr 22 2017

Coming up on today's show: Tesla makes some pricing changes to the Model S and Model X

vehicle lineup, VW's Electrify America, BMW, and Nissan all announce new charging

network program independently of one another, and a self-driving Chevrolet Bolt EV faces

off against a Raccoon.

These stories and more, coming next on TEN.

Like all our content, today's show is funded by the in-stream ads on today's video and

by the kind donations of viewers like you.

Follow the link at the end of today's video to make a monthly donation to our Patreon

crowdfunding campaign to help keep us independent and impartial.

And if you're already donating, thanks for your continued support.

It's Friday April Twenty-First Twenty Seventeen, I'm Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield and this is

TEN, the weekly news roundup show that gives you the latest in cleaner, greener, safer

and smarter news in sweetened, condensed form -- all with zero calories of course.

As I hinted last week, it was the Shanghai auto show this week and, as you might expect,

there were a plethora of different electric cars being displayed for the Chinese market.

Among them, were concept SUVs from Volkswagen and its luxury arm Audi.

The former showcased the ID Crozz, the latest all-electric, 300+ mile concept car in the

ID fully-autonomous, all-electric concept car family, which Volkswagen says previews

a possible production SUV in the not-too-distant future.

The latter showcased the Audi e-tron Sportback Concept, a coupe-sort-a SUV that it says will

come to market following the launch of the Audi e-tron SUV in twenty eighteen.

Like the ID Crozz, it boasts around 300 miles of range per charge, comes with second-generation

CCS quick charging and a sub 5-second 0-62 miles per hour (100 kph) sprint time.

With little time to spare, I can't cover all the plug-in cars that were in Shanghai,

but it's worth noting here that Toyota also admitted this week that it's Chinese market

demand for plug-in cars that is causing it to rethink its love with hydrogen and former

policies on EVs, so thanks China!

This week, Tesla made some big changes to the Model S and Model X lineup, removing the

Tesla Model S 60 and 60D from sale, slashing seven and a half thousand U.S. dollars off

the price of the Model S 75 and making a full-length glass roof standard across the Model S range

along with an automatic tailgate.

At the same time, Tesla made some tweaks to the Model X lineup, introducing a new set

of twenty-inch wheels, and a new optional center console for the second-row when configured

as a six-seat car.

Sadly there were some price-hikes too: flagship Model S and Model X cars (both the standard

100D and P100D variants) get a price hike in a few weeks' time, with the Model X P100D

getting the largest price increase to put its MSRP at one hundred and forty-five thousand

dollars.

Get saving.

While we're on the subject of Tesla, it's just announced that it will be holding its

annual shareholder meeting on June 6th this year at the Computer History Museum in Mountain

View, California.

Since it happens every year, it's hardly a big deal unless you happen to be a Tesla

shareholder who is keen on having a say in how Tesla runs itself.

Sadly, you can only attend if you owned Tesla Shares on or before April thirteenth this

year, so if you've just made your Tesla stock purchase after that date, you're going

to have to wait until next year to attend.

Sorry.

If you're a fan of a certain Rocket Racoon (he's my secret bae) you'll know he's

a no-nonsense bipedal raccoon with a bit of an attitude, produced by genetic manipulation

of animals on the planet Halfworld.

And you'll know that he demands respect wherever he goes.

Usually here on earth, Racoons are seen as something of a nuisance by many and if you

happen to encounter them at night on the road, often come off worse than the car.

But this week a video surfaced of a chance encounter between a self-driving Chevrolet

Bolt EV (part of GM's Cruise autonomous driving program) and a Racoon.

Not only did the car detect the little critter walking across the road (at an intersection

no less) but it waited patiently until Rocket's cousin had made their way safely to the other

side.

Awww.

And if you think it was a publicity stunt think again.

Firstly, I don't think you could train a Racoon to do that on cue and secondly, even

tiny kid fursuiters don't come in that small a size.

Sorry.

Sometimes this show goes weeks without discussing charging infrastructure for electric cars

and then, suddenly, we get a bunch of stories about charging networks.

And this week is one such week, with Volkswagen's Electrify America, BMW and Nissan all announcing

their own stories about charging networks.

Electrify America first.

It published more details this week on the first phase of its proposed nationwide EV

charging network, paid for by the fund Volkswagen set up as penance for building diesel cars

designed to cheat in emissions testing.

Under that scheme, it will invest in as many as two hundred and forty highway-adjacent

charging stations throughout thirty-nine U.S. states, joining up east and west coasts.

Sixty-six miles apart on average with no more than one hundred and twenty miles between

them, sites will include between four and ten high-powered, standard-agnostic charging

stations capable of providing between one hundred and fifty and three hundred and twenty

kilowatts of power each, which I'm very happy about because that should dramatically

change how easy it is to travel across the U.S. by a car that isn't a Tesla.

BMW next.

It announced mid-week that it would be installing up to one hundred charging stations in and

near America's national parks this week in a bid to make it easier for electric car

drivers to enjoy the fun and beauty that the nation's National parks have to offer.

Finally, Nissan, operating in partnership with EVGo, announced at the start of the week

that it would be funding a new DC quick charging corridor up the U.S. east coast, joining cities

like Washington, DC, New York and Boston together.

While the charging stations will initially be programmed to provide just fifty kilowatts

of power, the new charging corridor is going to be pre-wired to make it ready for 150 kilowatt

charging in the near future, making me wonder if that's the new charging speed we'll

see for the next-generation Nissan LEAF when it debuts this fall.

Watch this space.

When Hyundai announced the 124-mile IONIQ EV last year, I've got to admit that I -- and

other commentators -- were a little derogatory about the thing, especially given the market

launch of the Chevy Bolt EV, the upcoming tesla Model 3 and the upcoming next-gen LEAF.

But this week, Hyundai unveiled details of its new ownership program for the IONIQ that

makes the mid-range electric car a little more appealing: a no-nonsense, thirty-six

month deal that might look like a lease, but includes everything -- including tax, title,

license and fees -- as well as charging, service and wear for the first fifty-thousand miles.

There are no mileage caps, and it all starts from just three hundred and five dollars per

month (after two and a half thousand dollar down payment).

Sadly, the program is only available for now in California, but there's hope that the

program will expand to other markets.

Given it does away with the usual nasties of leasing a car (those mileage limits) then

I think there are going to be plenty of takers at that price.

Do you agree?

We may be eagerly awaiting the Tesla Semi unveiling this September, especially after

some industry analysts say that it will revolutionize the trucking world, but this week Toyota unveiled

its own attempt to take on the trucking world with Project Portal, a hydrogen fuel cell

system designed to make heavy duty trucks zero emission.

Trailed at the Port of Los Angeles, the system uses not one but two hydrogen fuel cell stacks

fro a Toyota Mirai, combined with a twelve kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery to give

six hundred and seventy horsepower and thirteen hundred and twenty five pound feet of torque.

Toyota says range is about 200 miles per fill, when operating in 'class eight' load operations.

But being just a concept vehicle at the moment, there's no details as to if this will ever

make it to production or not.

Oh, and if you can get the reference behind the title above, you win an extra point.

(Leave your answer in the comments below).

Our next story is news of a voluntary recall involving a total of fifty-three thousand

Tesla Model S and Tesla Model X cars following a discovery that the electronic parking brake

(made by third-party brakes specialist Brembo) of cars made between February and October

twenty sixteen could contain a small gear that may have been improperly manufactured.

Less than five percent of the vehicles being recalled by Tesla are believed to be affected,

but Tesla being Tesla, it's recalling those fifty-three thousand cars just to be sure.

Repair time -- or rather replace time -- will be about forty-five minutes, Tesla says.

As usual, Tesla will contact customers directly to arrange the necessary appointment to fix

affected cars.

As you know, we cover all forms of cleaner, greener, safer and smarter transportation

here on this show, and this next story focuses on the maiden flight of a very special vehicle

indeed: the Lilium Jet -- an all-electric vertical takeoff-and-landing jet (or flying

car) that its creators hope will one day offer automated taxi services to customers around

the world.

The prototype jet seats just two, and can take off in very small spaces by rotating

its wing-mounted electric fans downward to create lift.

Once airborne, the little jets then rotate so they are parallel to the ground, giving

the plane forward thrust.

Eventually, the Lilium Jet will seat five or more people, but for now, this is one impressive

vehicle.

Announced the same week as a second Vtol flying car -- the AeroMobil from Solvakia -- it feels

like electric personal air travel is just around the corner.

Welcome to the future everyone.

It might have been unveiled a long time ago, but series production of the Chrysler Pacifica

Hybrid plug-in minivan has taken rather a long time to get going, with only a trickle

of vehicles making it off the production line for sales and press purposes.

But now, after a long wait, customers are finally getting their plug-in hybrid minivans

long after the model first debuted -- and to apologize for the hold up, Fiat Chrysler

is now giving customers a free charging station for their home to sweeten the deal.

Sure, it has an internal combustion engine and yes, it's about the same price as a

fully-laden Chevrolet Bolt EV, but the Pacifica Hybrid minivan is currently the only plug-in

hybrid minivan on the market, so it's going to be interesting to see just what the sales

are like moving forward, especially given how reluctant FCA has been to promote plug-in

cars in the past.

Do you like the idea of it?

Do you want one?

Or does its meagre 33-mile EPA-range put you off?

Leave your thoughts in the Comments below.

And finally,

If you're a fan of two wheeled goodness, the chances are at some point (if your significant

other is less than happy about them) that you've had that moment when you've tried

to justify buying another motorcycle.

And usually, you'll find yourself making pretty lame excuses.

Well the folks at Zero Motorcycles just leverage that with a new two and a half minute ad that's

pure genius, turning that notion on its head in a light hearted way that demonstrates just

why electric motorcycles beat traditional motorcycles hands down.

The tag line?

It's for us.

You should watch it when I'm done… you'll enjoy it.

And you won't have long to wait because that's your lot for today.

As always, don't forget to like, comment and subscribe, visit transport evolved dot

com for more cleaner, greener, safer and smarter transportation news, or join in the conversation

on Twitter at transport Evolved.

And if you liked what you saw today and want to help us make more shows like this, please

consider making a donation to our Patreon crowdfunding campaign, a link for which is

in the description and at the end of today's show.

Thanks again for joining me, I'll see you next week, I'm Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield,

That was TEN, have a great weekend, and until next time, keep Evolving!

For more infomation >> Tesla Price Change, Triple EV Charging News, Raccoon Vs. Bolt EV T.E.N. Future Car News 4/14/2017 - Duration: 12:31.

-------------------------------------------

Howard Pinderhughes' "UCSF Last Lecture" - Duration: 58:14.

(students chattering)

- Hello everyone and welcome to the sixth annual

UCSF Last Lecture.

Thank you all so much for coming and turning out

for this amazing speech we're about to hear.

Please take a moment to ensure that your phones

are on silent before we begin tonight's program.

So we began the process of tonight's Last Lecture

months ago, when the student governments from each school

were asked to help put together a nominee list.

From this list, hundreds of students

from all of the UCSF programs voted.

The winner of that vote is our speaker tonight,

Dr. Howard Pinderhughes.

(applause)

Dr. Howard Pinderhughes is an associate professor

and chair of the social and behavioral sciences department

in the school of nursing.

He first came to UCSF as a post doc

at the Institute for Health Policies Studies

and has since been committed to helping UCSF

improve as a community and as an anchor for social change.

His work focuses on health inequalities and disparities,

with a core concentration on violence as a health issue

and the impacts of violence on youth in urban communities,

and has evolved to examine and address individual

and community experiences of trauma.

As a long-standing member and former co-chair

of the Diversity in Action Committee

in the School of Nursing, known as DIVA,

he has worked with other faculty to address issues

of diversity, inclusion, racism, and sexism

and to create a more multicultural community,

both in the School of Nursing

and in the broader UCSF community.

In addition, he is also a founding member

and former co-chair of the University Community

Partnership Council, which is now

the Center for Community Engagement.

(applause)

He has also been engaged in National Policy Work

as a lead partner in Unity, Urban Networks

to Increase Thriving Youth, which is a CDC-funded

national initiative for comprehensive violence Prevention

in the nation's largest cities.

He is the author of the book Race In The Hood:

Conflict and Violence among Urban Youth

and a forth coming book Dealing with Danger.

How inner city youth cope with the violence

that surrounds them.

His career is an exemplary for students

who are interested in combining their scholarly

academic work with issues of social justice to work

in diverse settings and have a lasting, positive impact

on both the local and national scale.

And so on behalf of the UCSF student body,

I ask Dr. Pinderhughes is you had one lecture to give.

What would you say?

(applause)

- How's everybody doing?

(laughs)

I'm doing pretty good.

First of all, thank you Gia for the beautiful

and wonderful introduction.

I wanna thank the students for

allowing me to spend a little

bit of your time talking about some important things.

Hopefully I will validate your faith in me in terms of

thoughts that I was gonna impart some wisdom.

That's the intention and we're gonna get started.

But before I do.

I wanna thank a couple of people.

First of all, my wife, who is my partner.

(applause)

In virtually everything that I do

but most importantly she's my partner

in terms of promoting social change

and doing our community work.

And the work that I do,

I get inspired by the work that she does.

Y'all don't know it but she is fierce.

(laughs)

And you should get to know it more.

I also want to give a shout out to my two children

who could not be here tonight.

(applause)

Samora Pinderhughes is a composer and a pianist.

I'll talk a little bit about Samora in just a second

and Elena Pinderhughes, she's like a light.

Elena is all light and she is a flute player

as you can tell.

She's playing the flute and she brings joy to everybody

that she encounters, both through her music

but also her spirit.

So I wanna thank and dedicate

this talk to the three of you and my mom.

Now Mom, I know you watching.

(laughs)

I love you.

(laughs)

My mother's 94, she wanted to be here but she was unable to,

I told her she's not allowed to get on the plane.

But she's watching and she is along with my father

and my entire family are my inspiration

and a lot of the reasons why I do what I do and how I do it.

And so I'm gonna read my talk.

(laughs)

Just kidding,

I've got a few notes

but I'm probably not gon read it.

The prop for this, everybody knows what it is right?

It's if you had just one last lecture to give

what would you say.

That's a daunting, daunting prop

It's like I get to talk then fade to black.

(laughs)

That's very, very intimidating

and it causes you to become philosophical.

I spent the last couple of weeks thinking about my life.

Thinking about what's my purpose in life

and thinking about why are we here.

What were put on this Earth for?

And what came to me, for me

it's many things

but two proverbs or principles came to mind.

Kuumba which means creativity

but not just creativity in terms of creation

before yourself and expression

but it encourages us to always do as much as we can

and do it the way we possibly can

in order to leave our

communities and our Earth better than we found it.

And that to me is a fundamental principle

we all should live by.

Unfortunately it runs counter

to the core principle of capitalism

which is short term profit.

But this I would urge you to hold tight to

as you think about the work that you do.

And the second is iroquis maxim which is in our very every

deliberation we must consider the impact of our decisions

on the next seven generations.

Now when we talk about that.

It places a very, very clear responsibility

and burden on us about what is the impact

of the work we do and how we do it.

And as climate change becomes a reality,

as the Earth is in peril.

This maxim becomes more and more vital for us to start

running our lives, creating our institutions

and shifting and changing and transforming our society

to take this into account.

So I shape this last lecture

from two of my most important teachers.

The first is my father and

my father died in 1998

of a heart attack brought on by the complications

of congestive heart failure and diabetes.

And he was a renowned psychiatrist and psychoanalyst

and he wrote about the psychology of racism.

No surprise, I came out of that right.

(laughs)

In the last year of his life,

he worked feverishly to complete a manuscript.

A manuscript of his life

which was a combination of his memoirs,

his analysis of the history of our family

and his analysis of the history of African Americans

in the United States.

He wrote it for us, for his children and he entitled it,

This is my Baton.

I reread portions of it over the last couple of weeks

and it occurred to me that that's what this is.

This Last Lecture.

If this is my last lecture then this is my baton

that I'm handing off to you.

And he wrote these words to myself and to my siblings

and I'm gonna read a little bit.

Said dear Howie my son,

life is a multi-generational medley relay.

We receive we give we pass on for others

whatever momentarily has been a part of us.

Life processes and restructures the environment

and itself in infinite ways that remain a mystery

to the human consciousness which itself

is only one of life's many products.

It is wonderful that for a while we can be part of it.

As you participate in this saga

where quadrillionths of batons are being received,

carried briefly and then passed on.

I hope and pray that you experience in your life,

the love, the joy and the sense of fulfillment

you would like to receive.

So I wish that on each and everyone of you.

But there's more and part of that is reflected

by the other person who is one of my important teachers.

Where'd he go?

Oh, you've already seen him, that would be my son.

Samora has been an inspiration to me

because of the work that he does

and the way he does his work trying to promote

social change through his art.

He recently completed and released the Transformation Suite

which is his six part jazz suite about the need

for social change and transformation in the US.

The suite is organized in five parts

and this is the five parts that I've organized this talk.

Transformation, history, cycles, momentum

and ascension.

So in terms of transformation,

in thinking about this lecture.

I was thinking about the defining moments of my life

and the experiences in my life that have contributed

to the work that I do.

The wisdom that I would like to pass on to you today.

I'm gonna share with you a few of those experiences.

Can't possibly share all of them, 60 years is a long time

to be walking on the planet.

But these are the experiences that I feel

have shaped who I am.

They've shape my formation and my transformations.

But where to begin?

There's so many stories and so little time.

Well, I guess I should start in the beginning.

(laughs)

Pretty cute, huh?

(laughs)

I was a happy baby.

I was a happy child.

I was born into a middle class black family

and I was, yeah see I was rocking the navarrou back then.

(laughs)

Wait a minute, wait a minute.

This is not the beginning of the story.

We have to go further back.

(laughs)

Further back than that.

We've got to go back to where we come from

so I'm gonna ask you where are you from?

What's the country of your origin?

And I ask that very specifically

and I would like for those of you that know the country

of your background and I'm not talking about Kansas

but the country that your ancestors came from.

Stand up please.

Okay, now sit down.

Those of you who do not know, please stand up.

Now you'll notice that a large number of the folks

who don't know are African American.

There's a reason for that.

The rest of you I'm not sure.

It might be that you were either adopted

or your families did not hand things down

but this is part of the legacy.

And the question to this question has changed

because of DNA testing right.

So folks know where they came from

but that's testing may tell you

who you are related to genetically

but it doesn't tell you who you are.

In order to do that,

you've gotta go back.

(instrumental music)

♫ Ship ahoy, ship ahoy

♫ Ship ahoy, ship ahoy

♫ Ship ahoy yeah

♫ Ship ahoy, ship ahoy

♫ Ship ahoy, ship ahoy

♫ Ship ahoy

♫ As far as your eyes can see

♫ Men, women and babies slaves

♫ coming to the land of liberty

♫ But life's design is already made

♫ So Young and so strong,

♫ They're just waiting to be saved

♫ Oh I'm so tired

♫ And I know you're tired too

♫ Look over the the right

♫ and see the sun shining down on you

♫ Ship ahoy, ship ahoy

♫ Ship ahoy, ship ahoy

♫ Ship ahoy yeah

♫ Ship ahoy, ship ahoy

♫ Ship ahoy, ship ahoy

That's Lettie Clouden, my great great grandmother.

Now my mother went on a search

in 19, when was it mom?

1973, 74

and she was searching for her lineage

and it took her a month of 10 hour days

searching in libraries, post offices etc

and she finally found

the document

of my great great grandmother Lettie.

Where she was listed along with the cattle as property.

This is not the actual document

but this is very similar.

Inventory of Negroes, Cattle and Horses.

And so as you start to learn about slavery.

It's somewhat of an abstraction even for African Americans

when you hear about it but when you find your ancestors

who are in that experience.

It has a whole different meaning

and the concept, in fact the reality

of intergenerational trauma becomes real

and that's part of what shaped the work that I did.

This is my mother's mother,

my grandma Ollie.

As you can see she's very light skinned.

That was as a result of

a doctor in Donaldsonville

named Adolph Bushwa

who had relations with her mother.

Not clear whether it was forced or not

but she was product of it

and became a source of shame in her family.

And was sent away to live in Alabama,

because the family did not want her around.

She married my grandpa Joe

and I just want to tell you one story

about my grandpa Joe that I remember.

He was around '92, no actually it was '89

because he died in '89.

He use to walk around and he would say,

"It's a shame to leave a man without a coat."

I'm like it's not raining outside grandpa.

What's up with that and he kept saying it's a shame to leave

a man without a coat.

And we finally found out what he was saying.

What he was saying and it was because he was going back,

at that time in his dementia.

He was saying, it's a shame to lynch a man without a court.

So that's what as he was growing older

and sinking into dementia,

that's what was his reality that he retained.

So that's one half the family.

The Pinderhughes side has a slightly different narrative.

Right here you have Jenny Pinder, some of you have heard

this story but Jenny Pinder married James Hughes.

That's right.

(laughs)

Put it together and made Pinderhughes,

women before her time.

But it's also, Pinderhughes is an indigenous

African American name.

Virtually all of the folks with the exception

of my white friend there who has Pinderhughes

as their name is African American.

It's a source of pride,

it's important source of bonding for our family

and it highlights the importance of family

on both sides in terms of my mother's history

as well as my father's history.

That's my father on the right, my uncle John.

This is my grandma Gladys and my grandpa Charlie.

Now I put this up because I wanna tell

a little bit of a story about the legacy of struggle

that we have in my family.

Gladys went to Sergeant College in Boston.

In 1916-1920, she was there

and was part of the Afro American Student Society

which worked with William Monroe Trotter

and at that time Birth of a Nation came up.

Y'all know what Birth of a Nation is?

How many people have seen Birth of a Nation.

It's a hard thing to see but you all should all see it.

Birth of a Nation was a film the was made by D.W. Griffiths

to glorify and justify

the Klu Klux Klan in the 1920s.

And it served to elevate them

in the minds and populace

particularly in the South but across the country.

So it was released in Boston.

My grandma Gladys went with her compadres and

Afro-American student society

and they got tickets to the balcony,

they wouldn't let negros in the bottom floor.

In their pockets they had eggs and they had tomatoes.

(laughs)

When the curtain opened up

they rained down with those eggs and tomatoes

they ran out the back and side door,

nobody got caught.

So that was my grandmother.

(laughs)

yeah you clap for my grandma.

(applause)

This is my mother and father.

My father I mentioned was a psychiatrist and psycho analyst

at Boston University and Howard

and my mother ran a family therapy clinic

but they also were very, very active through

freedom house in Roxbury

and during the period in early 60's and mid 60's

they were very very active in terms of

trying to push issues around integration in Boston.

That's my family.

That hair,

(laughs)

was short for me at the time.

It used to be about this big,

serious business

but this was my family.

I came from a middle class black family in Roxbury

and Roxbury is a black section in Boston

and what you need to know about that is we moved there

in 1957 and at that point and time

it was a mixed neighborhood,

mostly middle to upper middle class

with predominantly Jewish and African-American.

As the civil right movement got started,

that was part of my experience as an upbringing.

We to the march on Washington

as a family.

If you look right,

(laughs)

about two thirds all the way up to reflecting pool,

that's us.

We were there, we marched.

Our parents worked at the community

but one of the things that I remember strongest

is when I was eight years old

we were sleeping and was awoken about at 2:30 in the morning

by the phone

and my father answered the phone

and it was a call informing him that

Reverend Reeb who was not the sole pastor of our church

but he had preached at our church and

he was very active in the Roxbury community.

Ha had been murdered in Selma

as part of the efforts to start

the Selma to Montgomery march

over the Edmund Pettus bridge

and I can remember that, that phone call

my father talking to Reverend Reeb's wife

and I remember the feeling I had

of wow this is some deep stuff

if they're killing white people over this.

For weeks when I saw white people

I was scared of them.

I got over it but it was a profound moment.

It was also profound to understand that there are allies

in the struggle,

who are willing to lay their life on the line

for social justice.

- [Narrator] Alleged dissatisfaction with the welfare system

causes riots in the ghetto districts

of Boston Roxbury section.

Stores were smashed burned and looted

in three nights of violence.

An angry mob estimated at 1000 persons

marched through the streets throwing rocks

and bottles at police, setting buildings on fire.

It's Boston's first full scale riot

since the start of national racial tension.

Police were not the only target for hoodlings.

One rooftop sniper wounded a fireman

while he fought the flames.

Over 40 persons were arrested.

They'll be arraigned following a cooling off period.

Boston's mayor Collins called an emergency meeting

with negro leaders.

Uneasy calm followed.

- The video is about the riots

in Roxbury in 1967.

There were riots about three or four blocks from our house

we could not leave the house for about four days

and if you look out the window you could see the glow

of the fire.

You could hear the noise, you could hear the gun shots

and this was one of the riots of hundreds

that happened around the country.

Now unfortunately,

you can give it up.

It's okay.

Unfortunately you can't hear the report

because it's fascinating to hear

the way in which it's constructed.

How they talk about allegedly

people were upset about the way

the welfare office had been treating them.

The reality is that they had physically

abused and intimidated mothers

who were at the welfare office

and that that has precipitated the three days of rioting.

But as a result much of Boston got burned down.

The commercial carter was burned out

and so from that point

until roughly mid 1980's, 85 to 1990,

the only thing that was built of substance in Roxbury

was the juvenile jail.

As you have heard me talk in other lectures

about community trauma

and the elements of structural violence,

that's what I'm talking about.

You had the economic

infrastructure of my community

essentially burned to the ground.

We used to take about seven to 10 minutes to walk

to Augustin station to take the subway to go downtown

or go anywhere around Boston.

In around 1990, 92,

they moved the subway.

It still starts in the same place and ends in the same place

it just goes around Roxbury.

Structural violence.

So I'm telling you this because it informs

how I understand the world.

How I engage the world and why I do the work that I do.

These are the projects.

Which we'll talk a little bit more later

but I talked a little bit about the riots.

I talked a little bit about what was going on.

In 1968 just before he was killed,

Martin Luther King asked a question,

where do we go from here,

chaos or community?

And I would assert to you that that is the question

that is before us today.

Where do you go from here?

Where do we go from here,

Chaos or community?

Now, I went to school.

I was in the medico program.

It was a voluntary busing program from

the inner city to the suburbs.

One way, they didn't send nobody back.

(laughs)

As a part of that,

I got a chance to go from the Boston public school system

which were one of the five worst

school systems in the country.

Death in an Early Age was written by Jonathan Colesaw

about the Boston public schools.

To the Newton schools which was one of the 10 best

school systems in the country.

I had the chance to have a good education.

I have lots of stories to tell but I won't tell all of them.

I want to choose two things

and experiences to talk about.

One was, I was in a singing group.

(laughs)

Yeah, I was in a singing group.

Now, obviously this is not the group,

(laughs)

we don't have any pictures of the group.

(laughs)

This actually is the Jackson Five.

Everybody and I mean everybody wanted to be Michael Jackson.

Reality is, I was Marlon.

(laughs)

We won several talent shows

and I can't resist

so this is dedicated to my daughter.

Elena.

There we go.

(laughs)

(soul music)

♫ I got sunshine

♫ On a cloudy day

♫ When it's cold outside

♫ I got the month of May

♫ I guess you say

♫ What can make me feel this way

♫ My girl

That's right lady, I'm talking to you.

♫ Talking about my girl

(applause)

So Sammy got to be Michael,

he had the high voice

and he was good looking.

Then it was Donnie Frazier and Mark Jefferson,

Kenny Mark and myself.

What happened with them,

Donnie Frazier was murdered,

Mark and Kenny ended up incarcerated

and Sammy overdosed.

What was the difference between them and me?

The heath housing projects that I showed earlier,

that's where Mark Jefferson lived.

Each one of them lived in the housing project.

You saw the house I lived in.

The element of class privilege,

cultural capital, social capital.

They'd insulated me from the same things

that they were victims of.

The other thing that I want to talk to you about

on my medco experience was my second family.

I was essentially adopted by the Aransons.

Through Mark, this is Mark and I

when we were about to go to prom,

he was not my date,

(laughs)

but I was looking good, Mark looks a little stiff.

(laughs)

that's right I'm talking about you Mark.

But he and I were partners on the basketball court

and through life and till this day

probably my dearest friend

and his family essentially took me in

and that had a profound experience of

having another family who was white.

Who also was conscious.

They got it.

Treated me and my family with respect.

So that became a part of who I am.

As the 60's rolled into the 70's

Black Panther Party became an important part

of our community experience and an important part

of my family experience.

My brother Caby became...

I don't know we're gonna be able to do this one either.

But I'm gon try.

I have some dynamite music y'all you just don't know it.

My brother Caby became the Lieutenant of information

in the New Haven

New Haven chapter with the Panther Party.

And it was a time for those of you

who are students and young

it was a time of optimism,

it was a time of struggle,

it was a time belief in the possibility

and the potential of revolution.

♫ This aint heard of

♫ But never had misery

- Didn't happen,

but we came through that struggle

with both of large amounts of trauma

but also with an understanding

of the possibility of potential

that we had as a movement.

And so that I would urge you to

study a little bit and understand

when you look at the 10th point

platform at the Black Panther Party

it's relevant today

and it speaks very much to some of the things

that many of you are trying to do

in the communities that you're doing your work.

How did Denmark get in there?

(laughs)

I went to Denmark and lived there for three years.

First as a student and then I went back

and worked for something called American Pictures

which was a multimedia show and book

about racial class oppression in the United States

and the need for change.

To this day it's probably the most impactful

and powerful presentation on race and racism

that I've ever seen

and it was my privilege to be able to work with Yacob

and the rest of the collective around that.

The money that we raised went to Zimbabwe

to build an orphanage and a school

for young children who were orphaned by the war in Zimbabwe.

So while I was there I traveled to Ireland

and found my true calling.

I preached in pubs.

True story.

But my point being is that, that was part of

understanding the power of the word.

Power of communicating with people about

the issue of race.

So I came back from Denmark,

now I'm gonna be real.

I missed my black people.

I knew every back person in Copenhagen.

(laughs)

I came back and went to UC Berkeley

where I was involved in the creation of

an organization called The United People of Color

which essentially was a look back

at some of the elements of the third world strike

and the multi-racial, multi-cultural coalitions at the time

and we organized on the divestment front

and part of what we did was

force UC to divest.

You can clap for that.

(applause)

We had a feeling of power, a feeling of purpose

and a feeling of success that it was possible.

Now South Africa certainly has its problems

but apartheid is not one of them at this moment and time

and we were part of that.

I say that because as students,

I'm speaking to the students now.

You need to understand the power you have

and I'll speak a little bit about that later.

Went on to do work in New York City on

race and race relations among young people

and racial violence

and that was how I entered into

looking at the issue of youth violence

more broadly defined.

Some of you all know this is like my favorite...

some of y'all know this, right?

Okay then sing it with me.

Ready?

♫ It's like a jungle sometimes

♫ It makes me wonder how I keep

♫ From going under

♫ Ha ha ha ha

(laughs)

It's what I'm talking about.

This to me is an important moment

because it's grand master flash in the furious five

in 1982,

they were talking about trauma.

We didn't have the word for it,

we didn't have the language for it

but that's what they were talking about.

So as I started to do the work on violence

and started to

started to experience the elements of violence and trauma

in San Francisco community this was

on Potrero Hill

which is on the back side

of the San Francisco general hospital.

It became a clear focus to me

about what needed to be addressed

and that was healing people and healing the community.

Now at that time,

my wife and I and our children

went to live in Cuba.

We were there for six months

and I could tell story upon story

upon story but what I really want to press upon you

was the importance of understanding

the value of community

and the value of solidarity.

I went there looking for youth violence

because that's what I worked with

and ultimately what we fond was that they didn't have any.

So we had to ask the question why

and the answer that we came up with was

that the communities are so intact

and so easy

that they're able to handle

the types of problems

the young people and children are subject to.

I'm not saying it's a perfect society

but what I am saying is they got two things right.

Very right.

Education and health

and that's a bed rock for any society, should be

is health equity

and equal education and opportunity.

They got that right.

So where does this bring me?

To ascension.

How are we gonna move forward and upward?

Now part of it is,

continue to do the work in the community with the community

taking leadership from the community

around what needs to happen.

This is a circle of brothers

The Brotherhood of Elders Network

who brought me in and welcomed me into the circle

and the East bay and we do work

on issues, trying to help,

heal and create opportunity

for black boys and young men.

We got a couple of our folks here.

Ray

(applause)

thank you for coming.

I shout out to The Brotherhood of Elders

because this is indicative of they type of healing

of community that we need to do.

Reconnecting inter-generational relationships,

supporting each other in the types of work and activity

that needs to go on and reaching out

and reaching down and pulling up

those who are having trouble and problems

whether it be on the street

or incarceration.

Or in your family, that's part of what we need to do.

You work in the community, you have to do the policy work,

work with the prevention institute

around doing policy on violence prevention,

promoting health equity.

Part of my message to you all is

you got a lot of work.

You cannot just work on one front.

It's gotta be multiple fronts because

we're in some deep stuff y'all, right?

I know three months ago a lot of y'all had a hard time

getting out of bed, right?

Tell the truth.

Some of y'all were under the covers and like

no, I'm not getting out.

I'm gon say something now that

you can reflect on what I've said thus far.

Most of the African-Americana I know,

we got out of bed,

we were like, okay

this is the end of fourth reconstruction.

And after each reconstruction

we got our stuff together and we moved forward

and that's what we want to do.

That's part of it.

Community front, the policy front

but y'all are here at UCSF.

What is it that we need to be thinking about

here at UCFSF to achieve the social change that's necessary

in our society?

How do you be a physician and an activist?

How do you be a scholar and an activist?

How do you work with communities

as a part of the community?

How do you take leadership from the community?

and particularly how do you take leadership from you?

It all comes down to health as far as we are concerned

here at UCSF, right.

What would happen if we started with health for all

as a value, as the value?

Health equity as a fundamental principle

with the core value of health as a human right.

There are certainly nations that do that.

Cuba is one of them.

This requires fundamental change.

Hence the name transformation.

It requires transforming the way in which we think,

they way in which we act and work together

and the daily way in which we relate to each other.

Fundamental change requires that we not only

heal individualized which we're very good at here at UCSF.

I want to give everybody their props.

We heal people

but it requires that we transform the institutions

that we are part of.

If we're really going to heal communities,

heal individuals and heal our society

that means we heal or families,

we heal communities, we heal the workplace

and yes, we have to do work here at our beloved UCSF.

I want to say one thing,

we can do this.

I've been like a broken record around

this for a few years now

and folks who I love, who I respect

who are doing great work

ar like no no,

that's going too far.

Why don't we just do this piece here?

No.

Dare to dream big about what we can do.

Dream as big about our ability to transform

the social elements and determinants of health

as we do about stem cell science.

(applause)

As we do about revolutionizing precision medicine

and finding cures for cancer and Alzheimer's.

We can transform medical practice,

we can prevent disease and promote health

by achieving health equity.

We can do this.

How?

By devoting the awesome resources and power of USCF

toward improving the social determinants of health

of the most undeserved, the most highly impacted,

the most traumatized and the most endangered communities

in San Francisco and the Bay area.

What I learnt as a student in the anti-apartheid movement

in Berkeley is, the power of youth and students

to promote social change

so I'm again speaking to the students among us now.

You have more power than you realize.

Over the last three years, UCSF has embarked upon

important initiatives to improve diversity

in our institution

and I want to recognize the commitment

of Chancellor Hawgood

and our EVC Dan Lowenstein

and the activist of staff and faculty for these efforts.

But I want most of all to thank you students

for waking us up.

If we dream this big,

we can achieve Kuumba.

By transforming the health

of our most vulnerable populations and communities

and making UCSF a national and international model

for how to advance health

by promoting social, economic and environmental justice.

(applause)

Now how cool would it be

for UCSF to receive a Nobel prize for significantly reducing

health disparities in San Francisco?

(applause)

Improving health equity in the Bay area

and preventing diabetes and asthma

and premature cardiovascular disease.

Violence and trauma in the Bayview,

in Hunters Point, in West Oakland,

in East Oakland, in Chinatown

in the Iron triangle and Richmond.

Stockholm, Valeo there's a lot of places

as we've expanded at mission bay.

We've had an impact on that community.

Displacing folks,

that why I include Stockholm and Valeo.

We have a responsibility

to engage this issue head on

and we can do this.

Don't let anybody tell you we can't.

So that's it.

But before I end,

I want to give a shout out to the students

because you clearly did light a fire

under a lot of us here at UCSF.

But that fire needs to be stoked

and built and made

till it's a raging inferno

and black lives matter, yeah.

That is an important movement and concept.

But it doesn't just mean the right for black men

not to get shot,

it means the right for everybody

but black people in particular to have

opportunities to thrive and live healthy lives

and to have jobs that are a living wage.

At UCSF we should not have a single employee

who is not paid a living wage.

(applause)

Advancing health worldwide.

That doesn't say curing disease worldwide which we do

but in advancing health we all know

that what that requires is that 75%

of the variance that comes from

the social determinants of health.

That means if we're serious about advancing health worldwide

we have to impact the housing,

we have to impact the economic opportunities,

we have to impact the built environment,

we have to impact all of the elements that go into

healthy communities

and we know what they are.

Now UCSF is the second largest employer

in the city and county of San Francisco.

We spend billions of dollars

on procuring goods and services.

We could break off a corner of that

and handle some of the problems in Bayview Hunters Point.

As we think about our role,

understand, y'all know where this is?

That's Porterero terrace.

That's up the hill from San Francisco General Hospital.

Has been there for the whole time.

Most of us, for us that was just place to avoid.

Not a place to get in and do the work.

Now the city is stepping up

and starting to replace some of the housing but

we still have areas in Hunters Point

and there's still issues about this placement

in terms of that replacement process.

My point being is we can no longer

scape by because we do good work in the hospital.

It's time for us to get out in the community

and advance health worldwide and across town.

(applause)

UCSF as the anchor to promote

and sustain the social economic environmental health

of poor and working communities in the

San Francisco Bay area.

That could be out tag line.

How about that as our next brand?

(applause)

We can do it.

In closing I just want to say

the Baton is yours,

take it and run with it.

Thank you.

(applause)

For more infomation >> Howard Pinderhughes' "UCSF Last Lecture" - Duration: 58:14.

-------------------------------------------

KAMA LA MACKEREL#2: "WE DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR FRANCOPHONIE" - Duration: 3:42.

There is still space for reinvention:

because on the one hand, it is a challenge because it has not been translated yet

but

the work of translation is not always literal

"people of color" does not become "personne de couleur"

it requires a kind of analysis, of society, directly impacted communities

a philosophical analysis, linguistic analysis, political analysis

to be able to say "what's the term?"

So there is still a space for self-determination, a space to choose

how we want self-determination and then articulate these identities through this language [French]

therefore, there is still this exciting part, but it's a lot (!) of work

Le Délit sat down with Kama to talk about several topics

Kama in this episode talks about francophonie [French as a world language/French speaking world], colonialism, nationalism, racism

and outlines her vision of the francophonie

[Le Délit]: Your work inserts itself in this gap

that we talk about too little, is that the francophonie is not just about white and privileged people

it also affects people who can not access certain spheres

because they are racialized, etc.

[Kama La Mackerel]: in a Quebec context, especially in a Quebec context,

where there is this constant influence of Quebec nationalism

which we do not talk about enough

because there is this idea of ​​Quebec nationalism

which is like, "Quebec colonized by the rest of Canada"

without recognizing Quebec's colonial history and partaking in slavery

and... there is some of that dynamic ... an obsession with the French language

but at the same time,

how do you open the French language

to honor a francophonie, that is varied?

One thing that surprised me,

when I tried to get - I just got my permanent residence one year ago

but in the process, that took years,

when I had to get my Quebec certificate of selection (CSQ)

French is still my first language,

I come from a francophone country,

but I had to pass the French test ?!

although were I a French citizen, I would not have had to

I find this contradiction so interesting

because, how do we understand the francophonie in the world?

knowing that the people who will immigrate to Quebec, especially (and not in the rest of Canada)

come from French-speaking countries: North Africa, Haiti ...

it's Francophones who come to Quebec,

but at the same time they are told:

"We do not believe in your francophonie."

if French was my second or my third language

and I had to Quebec to learn French, I would learn the Quebec French,

but to be able to get my Quebec certificate of selection (CSQ)

you pass a test, which administration is in Paris

[...] which is also very proper to the idea of ​​the francophonie, in my opinion,

where the center of the francophonie is Paris

I think it's a very colonial [idea]:

it is to want to create cultural institutions, knowledge institutions that are central ...

[Le Délit]: [like] the French Academy, which regulates French vocabulary ...

[The Kama Mackerel]: So there is the center, which is the center of the francophonie

but, then, you have francophonies that are a little more respectable, or respected,

like, Quebec ...

[Le Délit and Kama] because it is white people! [laughs]

[Kama]: What I dream about, is that ... that I (!) can represent Quebec,

that people like me, that Haitian people, that migrants, that trans people

can represent Quebec

because ... yes, I identify strongly (!) as Quebecoise

not nationalist, but Quebecoise still!

For more infomation >> KAMA LA MACKEREL#2: "WE DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR FRANCOPHONIE" - Duration: 3:42.

-------------------------------------------

KAMA LA MACKEREL#2: "WE DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR FRANCOPHONIE" - Duration: 3:42.

There is still space for reinvention:

because on the one hand, it is a challenge because it has not been translated yet

but

the work of translation is not always literal

"people of color" does not become "personne de couleur"

it requires a kind of analysis, of society, directly impacted communities

a philosophical analysis, linguistic analysis, political analysis

to be able to say "what's the term?"

So there is still a space for self-determination, a space to choose

how we want self-determination and then articulate these identities through this language [French]

therefore, there is still this exciting part, but it's a lot (!) of work

Le Délit sat down with Kama to talk about several topics

Kama in this episode talks about francophonie [French as a world language/French speaking world], colonialism, nationalism, racism

and outlines her vision of the francophonie

[Le Délit]: Your work inserts itself in this gap

that we talk about too little, is that the francophonie is not just about white and privileged people

it also affects people who can not access certain spheres

because they are racialized, etc.

[Kama La Mackerel]: in a Quebec context, especially in a Quebec context,

where there is this constant influence of Quebec nationalism

which we do not talk about enough

because there is this idea of ​​Quebec nationalism

which is like, "Quebec colonized by the rest of Canada"

without recognizing Quebec's colonial history and partaking in slavery

and... there is some of that dynamic ... an obsession with the French language

but at the same time,

how do you open the French language

to honor a francophonie, that is varied?

One thing that surprised me,

when I tried to get - I just got my permanent residence one year ago

but in the process, that took years,

when I had to get my Quebec certificate of selection (CSQ)

French is still my first language,

I come from a francophone country,

but I had to pass the French test ?!

although were I a French citizen, I would not have had to

I find this contradiction so interesting

because, how do we understand the francophonie in the world?

knowing that the people who will immigrate to Quebec, especially (and not in the rest of Canada)

come from French-speaking countries: North Africa, Haiti ...

it's Francophones who come to Quebec,

but at the same time they are told:

"We do not believe in your francophonie."

if French was my second or my third language

and I had to Quebec to learn French, I would learn the Quebec French,

but to be able to get my Quebec certificate of selection (CSQ)

you pass a test, which administration is in Paris

[...] which is also very proper to the idea of ​​the francophonie, in my opinion,

where the center of the francophonie is Paris

I think it's a very colonial [idea]:

it is to want to create cultural institutions, knowledge institutions that are central ...

[Le Délit]: [like] the French Academy, which regulates French vocabulary ...

[The Kama Mackerel]: So there is the center, which is the center of the francophonie

but, then, you have francophonies that are a little more respectable, or respected,

like, Quebec ...

[Le Délit and Kama] because it is white people! [laughs]

[Kama]: What I dream about, is that ... that I (!) can represent Quebec,

that people like me, that Haitian people, that migrants, that trans people

can represent Quebec

because ... yes, I identify strongly (!) as Quebecoise

not nationalist, but Quebecoise still!

For more infomation >> KAMA LA MACKEREL#2: "WE DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR FRANCOPHONIE" - Duration: 3:42.

-------------------------------------------

Toronto Maple Leafs vs Washington Capitals. 2017 NHL Playoffs. Round 1. Game 5. 04.21.2017 (HD) - Duration: 0:47.

LINK IN DESCRIPTION AND COMMENTS!

For more infomation >> Toronto Maple Leafs vs Washington Capitals. 2017 NHL Playoffs. Round 1. Game 5. 04.21.2017 (HD) - Duration: 0:47.

-------------------------------------------

The role assessment plays in developing students, faculty, and program - Duration: 4:55.

Greetings school of business faculty. I'm

Dr. Brent Duncan and I'm honored to meet

with you to discuss the role that

assessment plays and helping us develop

leaders for business excellence. To start

I'd like to share with you the

philosophy behind decisions that I make

is Dean of Faculty--with the bottom line up front:

Student success, faculty engagement,

and program viability.

Our strategic initiative is to be a trusted provider

of career relevant higher education by

developing leaders for business excellence.

This means that the ultimate

school of business customer is the

business that hires our students. In

other words, our product is the graduate;

not the diploma. Understanding the

graduate as product and the business as

customer shifts our focus to student

performance and quality, allowing us to

produce a graduate that influences

customer perception and acceptance of

our product. Through this perspective, our

success as faculty becomes defined by

student persistence, learning, performance,

engagement, and success.

This can contribute to a higher perceived value

of our graduates by businesses and

markets. Within the University initiative

to build a world-class assessment

process, faculty must assess and

influence continuous improvement in

student progress, faculty effectiveness,

and program quality.

Regarding student progress, the faculty handbook details

the following activities: evaluate

student learning of course and program

objectives; provide timely and

substantive developmental feedback on

the content organization and mechanics

of student work; foster the integrity and

credibility of student work, and; assign

grades reflective of student

accomplishment. A key reflection of

classroom level assessment is in feedback

that helps students recognize the

dissonance between performance and

expectations so they can set goals to

take action that closes the gap. For us

as faculty, assessment helps us adjust

our courses and practices to better

align with student needs and program

standards. Under the active instructional

practices requirement in the University

of Phoenix Faculty Handbook, we can use

an action research instructional

approach. This means that we experiment

with multiple teaching techniques and

adjust our approach based on the

dynamic and diverse learning styles and

needs of our students. By constantly

assessing our instructional approach

against the needs of our students we

learn that a single approach tends to be

methodologically myopic; it's limited and

ineffective. Now, methodological

integration becomes a more effective

approach to influencing student learning

and development. We can consider

methodological integration through a

situational leadership framework. This

means that we develop a toolkit of

teaching practices and techniques so we

can apply the approach, or approaches,

that best meet the varied needs

abilities and motivations of our

students.

For the curriculum, assessment helps us identify opportunities for

improvement that we can make in our own

syllabi while we influence program

changes through faculty feedback

channels, which include: the faculty end

of course survey; thorough assessment of

signature assignments; the School of

Business Phoenix Connect Community; our

content area meetings; the "problems with

syllabus" link on the homepage of each

school of business syllabus, and; of

course, you can send emails directly to

School of Business at phoenix.edu.

Settling into this content area meeting,

we will focus on how we can leverage

assessment practices to improve

curriculum quality, faculty effectiveness,

and student learning through improved

instructional practice. What I hope we

can do together is consider

how this contributes to meeting

strategic initiatives to be recognized

as a trusted provider of career relevant

higher education that develops leaders

for business excellence. In short, how are

we contributing to student success,

faculty engagement, and program viability?

Now let's get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment